Do Rat bites?.Its the common question being asked to pest control companies .The answer to this is”YES THEY DO BITE”.Both rat and mice bite people. The biting of rodents occurs mostly when their population is high and where they live in close proximity to people.Persons more likely be bitten by rat and mice are
- Babies in crib.
- Elderly and homeless people.
- People who handle rats in laboratories .
- Peoples living in low socio-economic areas of cities.
what could happen if rat or mice bite
Disease caused by rat or mice bite is “RAT BITE FEVER” also known as”SODOKU DISEASE”
The cause of this bite fever is due to two kinds of bacterial organism found in rat and mice saliva,gums and within mucous membranes .these bacteria only transmit by biting not by urine or feces.
Symptoms will be different for every person and will be different depending on the type of bite fever that a person is infected with.the symptoms develops in about days and may have following symptoms
- Chill and high fever followed by rashes.
- An arthritic conditions of swollen red and painful joints
- Vomiting, headaches, and muscle aches. Joints can also become painfully swollen and pain can be experienced in the back
- Along with rash and swollen joints, skin irritations like ulcer or inflammation can develop on the hands and feet.
- Wounds will heal slowly,
- Symptoms will come and go over the course of a few months.
- Rat bite fever include issues with the lymph nodes in the neck, groin and underarm.
- staying away from rodents,
- hands and face should be washed after contact and any scratches both cleaned and antiseptics applied
- . Prompt cleaning of wounds with antiseptic solution, and reducing the risk of bites.
- Animal handlers, laboratory workers, sanitation and sewer workers must take special precautions against exposure.