COCKROACH CONTROL TIPS
Cockroaches are generally nocturnal insects. You’ll often notice them scuttling along walls and crevices as it starts to get dark. If you’re seeing cockroaches during the day it’s likely you have a significant infestation, as roaches will only venture out during the daylight hours if their nests are overcrowded.
Cockroaches like three things – food, water and heat. If your home provides these three essentials you could be a candidate for invasion.
The following tips will help make your home an unattractive target for this spiny-legged, hard-shelled enemy.
- Store food in insect-proof containers such as glass jars or sealed plastic containers
- Caulk, weatherstrip, and repair holes around water pipes, baseboards, doors and windows. This is important in apartments, where roaches can move from unit to unit along pipes.
- Do not leave uneaten pet food out overnight. If you must leave dirty dishes out overnight, put them in the sink and cover them with soapy water
- Put screens over windows, vents, floor drains and ducts. They can be roach highways and hideaways.
- Fix leaky faucets and drains.Create a dry environment – cockroaches can’t survive long without water, so fixing that leaky tap and ensuring your sinks are empty of water at night will make them thirsty enough to go elsewhere
- Remove old boxes and papers. The fewer places roaches can hide,
- Keep areas outside your home free of trash, wood piles and leaves.
- Rinse beverage and food containers before you recycle or throw them away